Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

A LITTLE OF THIS & A LITTLE OF THAT CROCK POT CHILI

Ok, this recipe is not for those of you who have to have precise measurements.  This is one of those "hmmm..it's missing something" kinda recipes.  It seems I can never make chili the same way twice.  I either have extra ground beef that needs to be used, so I make a BIG batch, or I don't have enough ground beef, so I make a small batch.  But today, I had 2 pounds of ground beef in the freezer that needed to be used, so a BIG batch is what I fixed.  I usually don't use that much ground beef, so I had to "wing" it.  So of course with more beef, I needed more of everything else.  Well.....I only had one pkg of chili seasoning, but I did have chili powder and cumin.  Then my husband tells me he wants macaroni in his chili this time!  That changed EVERYTHING!  Now I needed more liquid because the noodles will soak it up.  This is where the "a little of this and a little of that" comes in.   So if you are someone who cooks "to taste" this recipe is made for you.  I hope you will give it a try because it turned out so good, that my husband said from now on this is the only chili he will eat!!





A Little of This & a Little of That Crock Pot Chili:
(From: Angie's Kitchen)

2 lbs ground beef
2 quarts tomato juice
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 soup can of water (this you can adjust according to how thick or thin you want your chili)
1 can diced tomatoes w/ peppers and onions, undrained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 pkg chili seasoning
1-2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles* (or any other style pasta you choose)
chili powder to taste ( I used about 3tbs, just depends on how spicy you like it)
ground cumin to taste (I used about 3tbs)
Paula Deen's house seasoning to taste** (I just sprinkled this in, so not sure how much I used.  I would say about a teaspoon)

Brown ground beef in a skillet, season meat with Paula's house seasoning (just a sprinkle).  Drain off any fat and transfer to a 5-6qt crock pot.  Add all other ingredients and stir well to combine.  Cook on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.  I serve this topped with cheese and Fritos.

*If you don't like your macaroni too soft, you can add it in the last hour of cooking, or pre-cook it and add it in the end.
**You can make a batch of Paula's house seasoning to keep in your spice cabinet.  I use it in almost everything.  If you don't want to make it, it is available in most grocery stores.  Here is the recipe:

Paula's House Seasoning:
(From: Paula Deen)

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

I put this in a pint size lock tight container and shake it up until it is combined.  I pour some into a shaker for my spice cabinet, and leave the rest in the lock tight container and store in my pantry.

1 comment:

  1. Making your chili today...can't wait for it to be done. It's a cold, rainy day here so perfect for soup.

    ReplyDelete