Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

APPLE CRUMBLE PIE

Have you ever had one of those days where NOTHING turns out the way you had planned?  It seems the older I get the more of these days I have.  I had not planned on making this pie, I started out excited about making a French Pecan Pie.  I had purchased all of the ingredients needed to make it, but after mixing up the first layer and pouring it into my two pie shells, that there was not enough room for the other 3 layers!  Here I was with 2 sticky pie shells that I could not use.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I would NEVER waste a good pie crust!  So I poured the sticky pecan layer out of the pie shells, and scraped the bottom easily so not to tear them.  Now, what am I gonna do with these pie shells?  When all else fails.....just ask Paula Deen.  So I pulled out all of my Paula Deen cookbooks, and found a recipe for Apple Crumble Pie.  This sounded great, but the only problem was, I didn't have all of the ingredients for the filling!  Luckily, I had canned my own homemade pie filling back in the Fall.  So I improvised and used it.  So I thought my problems were over.....not exactly.  I misread the recipe, and put the "crumble" on top of the filling instead of the crust!  What a day!!!  Well, I just improvised again, and sprayed the lattice top with spray butter, and sprinkled it with a cinnamon-sugar mixture.  How did it turn out?  YUMMY!  Oh, and you are probably wondering about the French Pecan Pie.....I just sent my sweet hubby to the store for 2 deep dish pie crusts!  So I ended up with 4 pies instead of two, but I didn't waste anything!  I am posting Paula's version of this recipe and mine.  I hope you give them both a try!


PAULA'S VERSION:


Dough for a double crust 9 inch pie (homemade, frozen, or refrigerated)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tb all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash of salt
3 1/2 cups peeled, chopped cooking apples
1 16-ounce jar applesauce
1 tb lemon juice
2 tbs butter, chopped into small pieces

Crunch Topping:

3 tbs all-purpose flour
1 tb sugar
Dash of salt
1 tb butter, at room temp.

ANGIE'S VERSION:

2 regular 9-inch pie crusts
1 box refrigerated pie crust
1 jar Angie's canned apple pie filling (or any canned pie filling)
Paula's recipe for crunch topping

 PAULA'S VERSION:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie pan with half of dough. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Stir in apples, applesauce, and lemon juice. Spoon apple mixture into pie pan and dot with butter. Cut remaining crust into strips; arrange in a lattice design over tip of pie. For crunch topping, combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Using a fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over top of crust. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for about 45 minutes, or until crust and topping are golden brown.


ANGIE'S VERSION:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Divide pie filling evenly between the two pie crusts. Make crumb topping as directed above, and sprinkle over top of pie filling. Then cut pie crusts into strips and place over top of crumble. Spray top of lattice crust with spray butter, and sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake as directed above.

1 comment:

  1. Oh does this ever look yummy!!!
    I have those days where nothing goes right, but it is at least part of the adventure. I can't wait to read more of your posts and see what you whip up!
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete