Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

CHICKEN FAJITA QUESADILLAS & SOUTHWEST TACO RICE

My husband and I love going out to eat, but with the way the economy is,  it's just not in the budget.  About a week ago, I made my own version of Outback's "Alice Springs Chicken" and  "Aussie Fries". They both turned out really well.  If you missed the post and would like to check it out, click here.  This week, I decided to try another one of our favorites from a local Mexican restaurant called "Los Amigos".  For the longest time, my husband thought I was crazy because I always get the same thing when we eat there, Chicken Fajita Quesadillas.  The last time we were there, I finally convinced him to try mine, and he then realized my obsession with it!  He asked if I could make it at home, and so I gave it a shot.  This is what I came up with.  No, it's not quite as good as Los Amigos, but it was pretty darn close. 

I had a bag of Taco rice in my pantry that I needed to use, so I cooked it, and it seemed really......well, boring.  So I decided to spruce it up a bit.  It turned out really good as well.  I forgot to take a picture before everyone tore into it, but I will post the recipe under the quesadilla recipe.  Hope you give these a try, and make them your own and let me know what you think!


Chicken Fajita Quesadillas:
(From: Angie's Kitchen)

1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 small onion, sliced into thin strips
1-2 cups frozen fully cooked fajita seasoned chicken strips*
Fajita seasoning to taste
Mexican style shredded cheese
Quesadilla size flour tortillas

Slice your peppers and onion into strips.  Heat about a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a skillet, when the oil is hot, add your peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning to taste.  I probably used about a tablespoon.  Just depends on your taste.  Saute until vegetables are browned.  Add chicken and continue cooking until heated through.  Brown your tortillas in a skillet or in the oven.  (I used my quesadilla maker)  Fill your tortillas with vegetable and chicken mixture.  Top with cheese.  You can also add lettuce, sour cream, salsa, or whatever else you like on your quesadillas.

*You can make your own fajita chicken by using boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders.  Just cut them into thin strips, add fajita seasoning, and brown in a little vegetable or olive oil.



Southwest Taco Rice:

1 pkg Taco Rice
1 small can corn with peppers

Cook rice according to package directions only adding 1/4 cup more water than it calls for.  Add the corn with peppers, and heat through.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment