Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

DERBY DAY!!




It's Derby Day here in "My Old Kentucky Home", so I wanted to post a recipe to celebrate! I searched several other blogs, and everyone was posting the obvious Mint Julep, Derby Pie, etc....etc.... So I thought I would do something a little different. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com after serching "Kentucky Derby", and I thought it sounded really good....and YES it is VERY yummy! So here it is KENTUCKY BUTTER CAKE:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup butter, softened (not melted!)
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs

Butter Sauce:

3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup butter
3 tbs. water
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. In a large bowl, mix the flour 2 cups sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Blend in buttermilk, 1 cup of butter,2 tsp vanilla and eggs. Beat for 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Poke holes in the still warm cake. Slowly pour sauce over cake. Let cake cool completely before removing from pan. To make Butter Sauce: In a saucepan, combine the ingredients for the butter sauce. Cook over medium heat until fully melted and combined. DO NOT BOIL.

*The original recipe said to use a fork to poke the holes, but I was afraid the sauce would only saturate the bottom of the cake. So I used the end of a wooden spoon to poke the holes. This worked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment