Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

PIMENTO CHEESE


In the summertime, like most of you, my appetite slows down. Especially when I'm outside with my three year old playing, or working in the yard. Since it's not healthy to just skip a meal, I usually turn to something cool and light. Sometimes tuna salad and crackers, or maybe some cottage cheese and fruit, but another one of my favorites is PIMENTO CHEESE. I used to buy my pimento cheese, until last summer my husband and I visited his Dad and Step Mom. She was making PIMENTO CHEESE for a Homemakers meeting, and so of course I asked her how she made it! It was so much better than the store bought stuff, and very easy to make! I thought to myself, why haven't I made this before? Well, no more store bought stuff for me! I think once you have tried this, you will feel the same way. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Pimento Cheese:

1 pkg sliced American Cheese (you can use chedder, or Velveeta, I just like the taste of the American the best!)
1 small jar pimentoes, undrained
1/2 cup mayo
1 tsp. sugar (optional)

*First of all, I would like to make a suggestion. Buy the sliced cheese with no wrappers, or you will spend all day unwrapping cheese!

1. Run cheese through a food grinder. (I folded my cheese in half a couple of times, and put it in my food processor using the chopping blade, on pulse. It worked great!)
2. Put ground cheese in a bowl, and add pimentos.
3. In a small bowl, combine mayo and sugar. Add to cheese and pimentos.
4. Stir together until all combined.

Serve on crackers, bread, or toast. YUMMOLICIOUS!

**You can adjust the amount of mayo and sugar to your own taste. Or just omit the sugar completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment