Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

FRENCH TOAST!

Breakfast at our house usually consists of the basics, eggs, bacon or sausage, pancakes or biscuits and gravy. All of these are good, but I wanted something different. I came across 2 recipes for Strawberry Cream Cheese Filled French Toast. I found the first on Foodnetwork.com, and then the same day, Sarah from "What's Cookin'?" posted the same recipe. It sounded so good, I decided to make it this weekend. I tweaked it just a little because I didn't have all the ingredints listed, but it was still a BIG hit with my family! Here is the recipe, according to how I made it. Try it out, and see what your family thinks!

Strawberry Cream Cheese Filled French Toast:

Filling:
8oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbs. Strawberry freezer jam
1 tbs. orange juice

French Toast:
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
about 1/4 cup orange juice (I didn't measure, just added until I got the right consistancy!)
8 slices, Texas Toast style bread

Preheat griddle, combine filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.(I kept mine in the fridge until I was ready for it) In a shallow dish, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and orange juice together. With a paring knife, slice a pocket into the side of the bread, but don't cut all the way through. Fill the pocket with about a tablespoon (I used more!) of the filling. Dip the bread into the egg mixture, and place on the griddle. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices. Serve hot with additional strawberry filling, and powdered sugar if desired. (We poured more freezer jam on top, and drizzled with pancake syrup!)

No comments:

Post a Comment